Indoor Provincial Program
2013 is an amazing year to be part of Volleyball Nova Scotia’s Provincial Team Program. With competitions in Newfoundland, Quebec and Manitoba, athletes and coaches will compete against the best in Canada at every level. The teams offered this year are as follows:
Eastern Elite Championships, St. John’s, NL July 25th to 28th, 2013
Boys 16U (born 1997 or later) Girls 15U (born 1998 or later)
*Boys 18U (born 1995 or later) Girls 16U (born 1997 or later)
Girls 17U (born 1996 or later)
National Team Challenge Cup, (B) Gatineau QC, (G) Winnipeg, MB July 15th to 21st, 2013
*Boys 18U (born 1995 or later) Girls 18U (born 1995 or later)
Canada Summer Games, Sherbrooke, QC August 1st to 10th, 2013
Men 21U (born 1992 or later) Women 20U (born 1993 or later)
*The same18U boys team will be competing at both events.
Provincial Team Selection
All our 2013 Provincial Teams will be selected at our 7 day Elite Development Camp.
There are 2 ways to make the final selection camp:
- Direct invite to the Elite Development Camp based on individual assessment at the Provincial Championships, April 12th, 13th, 14th and April 19th, 20th, 21st
Invitations will be sent via email on Tuesday April 23rd 2013
Athletes must reply no later than Tuesday May 7th 2013
to secure their spot at the EDC.
2. If an athlete did not receive a direct invitation following the Provincial Championships, he or she may still attend the Elite Development Camp by attending ONE of the following EDC open tryouts:
Wednesday May 22nd
Canada Games Centre, Halifax
7:30pm – 10:00pm
Thursday May 23rd
Canada Games Centre, Halifax
8:00pm – 10:00pm
Wednesday May 29th
Acadia University, Wolfville
7:00pm – 9:30pm
Thursday May 30th
Par-en-Bas School, Yarmouth
6:00pm – 8:30pm
Saturday June 1st
Riverview H.S., Cape Breton
10:00am – 12:30pm
Sunday June 2nd
Oland Centre, StFX, Antigonish
10:00am – 12:30pm
To register, please use the NRS:
1. go to: nrs.volleyball.ca
** Do not create a new account if you are already a VNS member. If you create a new account, you will be prompted to pay membership fees again.
1. Go to the event calendar.
- Find the session in your area and proceed to register!
For Open Tryouts:
The format will be a 2 hour to 2.5 hour assessment on the following:
1. Passing (serve receive)
2. Serving consistency (same speed/velocity, same location, repeated without error)
3. Individual defense measuring their lateral range of court coverage (maximum 3m x 3m)
4. Volley/Setting high balls to outside locations (distance from targets will reflect age)
5. Attack: younger ages-attacking 3 tempo balls (medium speed) no block, angle and line
older ages-attacking against block specific locations and variety of speeds
6. Blocking will be a coached technical skill session to assess information gathering, reaction time, lateral movement, body control in the air as well as trainability.
Club Coaches: If coaches would like to actively participate at one of the tryout locations, please contact Shane St-Louis, Technical Director, prior to the tryout date.
Invitations to those selected will be sent via email on Tuesday June 4th 2013
Athletes must reply no later than Friday June 7th 2013 to secure their spot at the Elite Development Camp. Athletes will be contacted the following week if spots open up.
EDC Open Tryout Registration Opens May 6th and closes May 17th, 2013
Elite Development Camp
Volleyball Nova Scotia is excited to host it’s first annual Elite Development Camp (EDC). The EDC will invite the top 184 athletes from across the province to attend the 7 day training camp. The EDC’s main objective is to Identify, Assess, Train, and Track the progression of each athlete following the LTAD model to maximize the full potential of each athlete.
Dates: July 1st to 7th, 2013 Location: Truro, NS
- The top 40 athletes of each age category per gender will be invited
- Approximately 50% of the athletes will receive a direct invite, 50% will be selected from the EDC Open Tryouts
- All athletes will be housed and train in the same venue
- Accommodations and meals are included
- Over 26 coaches will be in attendance to train and coach athletes
- Athletes will receive 3 on court training sessions a day with a 2 day competition at the end
- The EDC will be used to evaluate each athlete in a fair and tangible process of their skills and ability in training as well as competition settings for a position on one of the Provincial Teams
EDC Venue Information
Date: July 1st to the 7th, 2013
Location: Truro, NS
Dalhousie Campus will be considered the main site. Four other venues for on court training and competition will be used. Transportation to and from each venue will be provided.
Accommodations: Fraser House, Dalhousie Campus, Truro NS
- Rooms are double occupancy (same age group and gender)
- Shared washroom facilities (same gender)
- No room housekeeping during EDC unless emergency
Meals: Jenkins Hall, Dalhousie Campus, Truro NS
- 1st meal provided will be evening dinner on the 1st of July
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will be every provided each day at scheduled times
- Breakfast and lunch only will be provided on the last day
*We strongly suggest bringing plenty of healthy snacks/fluids for the week as the workload may demand a higher nutritional intake than the body is normally accustom to.
**Make sure to eat prior to check-in as physical testing of 2 hours will be done upon arrival.
Check In: July 1st, 2013 at Langille Athletic Centre, Dalhousie Campus, Truro NS
Boys (all)-12:00 to 13:00 Physical testing begins at 13:00
Girls 15U/16U-14:00 to 15:00 Physical Testing begins at 15:00
Girls 17U/18U-16:00 to 17:00 Physical Testing begins after dinner
*Athletes will have access to their rooms after their group is done testing.
**EDC dinner will be at 17:30
***EDC meeting in the gymnasium immediately following the girls 17/18U testing.
Departure: July 7th 2013, 15:00 and later, Langille Athletic Centre, Dalhousie Campus, Truro NS
Schedule: A detailed schedule will be given at check-in.
- July 1st afternoon and evening will be testing in the gymnasium
- July 2nd, 3rd, 4th, individual training
- July 5th team training
- July 6th and 7th competition
*July 4th evening: There will be a social activity with a theme. Information will be sent at a later date.
**There will be exit interviews with each athlete at the end of the competition at the main gymnasium. Those offered a position on one of the Provincial Teams will be asked to stay 30 to 45 minutes extra to go over some of the training and competition expectations. Parents of those athletes are more than welcome to attend.
Provincial Team Coaching Staff Selection
Volleyball Nova Scotia will be hiring 10 Head Coaches and 10 Assistant Coaches for the following teams:
2-16U boys teams 2-15U girls teams
1-18U boys team 2-16U girls teams
2-17U girls teams
1-18U girls teams
Head Coaches of the 15U or 16U team must be fully certified level 1 or higher.
Head Coaches of the 17U or 18U teams must be certified level 1 and in the process of attaining a level 2 certification with some coaching experience at either the high school or club level.
All Head Coaches are required to attend the Elite Development Camp to assist in the development and selection of the provincial teams.
Assistant Coaches must have a minimum of a level 1 certification or in the process of completing the certification. These positions will be appointed from those that applied. Assistant Coaches are encouraged to attend the Elite Development Camp to aid in the development and selection of the provincial teams.
Deadline to submit your application for a coaching position is Friday April 19th, 2013
Interviews will commence the week of April 22nd. Coaches will be announced by May 1st, 2013.
EDC Coaching opportunity
If you are interested in participating at the 2013 Elite Develop Camp as part of the coaching staff, please submit your interest via email to Shane St-Louis, Technical Director.